The Sewell family start the ‘Veterinary Infirmary‘
The Elizabeth Street Veterinary Clinic (ESVC) has a long, distinguished history and may be the oldest, continuously operating veterinary facility, in the United Kingdom.
The history of the Clinic begins in 1813 when Joseph Sewell graduated from the Royal Veterinary College. He first practiced from ‘The Veterinary Stables’ at 10 Water Street, Strand.
Frederick Sewell, his son, graduated in 1839 and joined his father at the ‘Infirmary for Horses and Dogs‘, now at 32 North Row, Park Street, Hyde Park. Soon after, Frederick moved the horse and dog infirmary to 21 Elizabeth Street. We have served the local community in Belgravia from Elizabeth Street for over 180 years.
William Sewell, Frederick’s older son graduated in 1870 and joined his father who was now at 53 Elizabeth Street. William placed adverts in The Times and The Morning Post for ‘Ladies’ PETS and other dogs. Skillfully ATTENDED in all their diseases by WILLIAM SEWELL, MRCVS, Canine Physician…’
Alfred Sewell, William’s younger brother, graduated in 1877 and became the most illustrious member of the Sewell family of veterinary surgeons. The father and sons practiced jointly at ‘The Veterinary Infirmary‘ at 51A, 53 and 55 Elizabeth Street.
In this photo the Veterinary Infirmary is on the right, with the arched doorway.
Alfred Sewell was the first veterinary surgeon at ‘Battersea Dogs Home’, ‘The Kennel Club’, and ‘The Dumb Friends’ League, now the ‘Blue Cross’. He became by Royal Warrant, Veterinary Surgeon to the Prince and Princess of Wales.
Alfred Sewell MRCVS was the epitome of the Victorian professional. Photo credit: Royal Veterinary College.